On July 10th, 2013, just a few days after returning from a 14-month bicycle tour in Europe and Africa, Darren Alff (also known as the Bicycle Touring Pro) conducted a live, Internet web event where he took some time to share the best and worst moments from his travels by bike in 24 different countries. Afterward, Darren took some time to answer user-submitted questions about bicycle touring, personal safety, camping, and a whole lot more!
Watch the video recording above for a recap of this special event.
The following is a detailed breakdown of the webcast. Feel free to skip forward to the part of the video that interests you most. Websites, articles and products mentioned in the webcast are listed at the bottom of this page.
Best & worst bicycle touring moments from Europe & Africa
- Introduction – 00:00:00
- Camping in Iceland – 00:04:40
- Attending the Tour de France – 00:07:25
- Guided bicycle touring in Switzerland – 00:10:10 (Read my Bike Switzerland tour review)
- Fleas in Istanbul, Turkey – 00:12:50
- Saying “Yes” to strangers in Bulgaria – 00:15:50
- Paragliding in Romania – 00:18:00
- Winter cycling in Ukraine – 00:20:40
- Mountain biking & personal safety in South Africa – 00:23:40 (Read my African Bikers tour review)
- Self-Guided bike tours in France’s Loire Valley – 00:28:15 (Read my Loire Valley bike tour review)
Bicycle Touring Questions & Answers
- How do you get through difficult moments on a bike tour? – 00:34:30
- Are there any areas of the United States I should avoid? – 00:38:12
- Did you find traveling through 24 countries in 14 months disorienting? – 00:40:15
- What was your most difficult bike repair while on the road? – 00:43:00
- What is your best advice for a first-time bicycle tourist? – 00:44:20
- Bicycle touring technology – 00:46:30
- Have you ever run out of food or water? – 00:51:24
- How do you stay in Europe for more than 3 months with the Schengen law? – 00:53:35
- What is the best bicycle touring country in Europe? – 00:57:30
- How do you deal with loneliness? – 00:58:35
- Will my hybrid (dual-sport) bicycle work well for a bicycle tour? – 01:00:00
- Which is better: Bicycle touring panniers or a trailer? – 01:03:20
- Healthcare & Insurance advice for international travelers – 01:06:15
- Do you carry a weapon? – 01:07:00
- What is your biggest tip for conducting a cheap/inexpensive bicycle tour? – 01:09:30
- Do you have any sources of income during your bicycle tours? – 01:09:50
- What do you know about tracking your bike tours via GPS? – 01:10:20
- Which case do you use for your Co-Motion Pangea touring bike when it is disassembled? – 01:11:10
- What kind of bicycle lock to you carry? – 01:11:50
- What is your next bicycle touring destination going to be? – 01:14:40
Websites & articles mentioned during the webcast:
- Guided & self-guided bicycle tours all around the world – www.gobicycletouring.com
- Bike Switzerland (Guided & self-guided bicycle tours in Switzerland) – www.bikeswitzerland.com
- Winter Cycling book – www.wintercyclingbook.com
- African Bikers mountain bike tour in South Africa – www.africanbikers.com
- Active4Adventures Loire Valley, France self-guided bicycle tour – www.active4adventures.com
- The Bicycle Traveler’s Blueprint: my how-to book about self-supported bicycle touring – www.bicycletouringbook.com
- Co-Motion Pangea touring bicycle (the bicycle I rode)- www.co-motion.com
- 3 Major hurdles every bicycle traveler needs to overcome.
- Voltaic Fuse solar panel – www.voltaicsystems.com
- Pocket Earth: Offline Maps iPhone/iPod Touch app
- How to carry extra water on your bicycle.
- Three weapons you can use to defend yourself while traveling.
If you enjoyed this special bicycle touring webcast, let me know by leaving a comment below… and I’ll be sure to do more events like this in the future!