Have you ever thought about making your bicycle tour more than just a trip by bike by turning your two-wheeled adventure into a theme-based experience?
Theme-based bicycle tours are a fun and interesting way to both travel the world and get others excited about your own adventures.
- In 2005 I cycled down the Pacific Coast of the United States and stopped to skate at nearly every single skateboard park along the way.
- In 2011, 24-year-old Darren O’Donnell rode his bicycle around the USA and visited every professional baseball stadium.
- And now, Diana June (aka Indiana June) is conducting a long-distance bicycle tour where her online readers get to vote and decide where she heads next through an “Indian Jones” type poll on her website.
These are just three examples of theme-based bicycle tours where a trip by bike has been combined with another fun and interesting activity, experience, or destination.
But you don’t have to be a skateboarder, baseball fan, or Internet junkie in order to conduct a theme-based bike tour. There are tons of other things out there to mix with your bicycle travels.
- You might cycle to all the amusement parks in the world.
- Ride your bike to and fish in every one of your country’s largest lakes.
- Use your bike tour as a chance to study astronomy, learn to identify constellations, and teach others about the cosmos.
- Cycle to the place where your grandparents were born and raised and research the history of your own family while you are there.
- Travel by bike to every Apple store in China.
- Ride your bike along the length of the Thailand and go surfing at all the great surf spots along the way.
- And any number of additional such ideas.
There are a ton of different ways to combine your bicycle touring adventures with other fun, exciting, and educational experiences. But now it’s your turn to decide how you are going to turn your bicycle tour into more than just a trip by bike.
Leave a comment below and let me know how you might turn your bike tour into a theme-based bicycle touring experience!
Photo by Ray_from_LA