If you already own a bicycle (a road or mountain bicycle perhaps), but you are unsure as to whether or not that bicycle is capable of handling the demands of the specific type of bicycle touring you wish to conduct, please leave a comment below describing your situation.
In your comment, please tell me:
- What type of bicycle you currently have (Make, model, year and condition).
- What type of bicycle tour you are planning to conduct (There are 5 major types of bicycle tours. See this article for more information).
- Where in the world you are planning to go on your bicycle tour.
- How much gear you plan to carry on your travels.
- Whether or not you plan to camp or cook your own food while you are on tour.
- And what type of road conditions you will be covering on your bike tour (For example: paved roads, gravel fire roads, rocky single-track trails, etc.)
After leaving your comment below, I will reply at my earliest possible convenience with an opinion as to whether or not the bicycle you currently have can be used on your upcoming bicycle tour or whether you need to purchase a touring-specific bicycle that is better designed for the type of bicycle tour that you have in mind.
For additional assistance, please see: The Essential Guide To Touring Bicycles