2012 was a truly incredible year!
Here’s just a small taste of what I did:
- Spent 4 months skiing at North America’s #1 ski resort – Deer Valley.
- Watched 12 amazing movies at the Sundance Film Festival.
- Saw more than a dozen famous musicians perform, including A Fine Frenzy, Lisa Hannigan, Nellie McKay, Flying Lotus, Josh Kelley, Ingrid Michaelson, Natasha Bedingfield and more.
- Crashed my bicycle three times while cycling in the snow and doing research for my new Winter Cycling book.
- Rented out my condo in Park City, Utah, thus freeing me up to travel for the next year or more.
- Rode my motorcycle across the deserts of Utah, Nevada and California.
- Got a new touring bicycle – the Co-Motion Pangea.
- Spent 25-days cycling around Iceland with my ex-college roommate, Brandon Roesler.
- Conducted a 1-day bike tour of Iceland’s capital city with Reykjavik Bike Tours.
- Spent an entire month touring around France, Belgium and the Netherlands.
- Stayed for more than a week with my friend Fee and her family in the tiny village of Ludorf, Germany.
- Watched 4 days of the Tour de France bicycle race – including the opening day time trials.
- Wild camped in Luxembourg and saw the most amazing street performance ever in Metz, France.
- Cycled across the Swiss Alps on a 10-day guided bicycle tour with Bike Switzerland.
- Spent a week with my second family, the Rybickis, at their home and in the mountains of Livigno, Italy.
- Rented an apartment in Istanbul, Turkey and stayed there for an entire month to tour the city and see the sights.
- Rode my bicycle up the shores of the Black Sea to the city of Varna, Bulgaria.
- Made 5-minute friends with Mormon missionaries in Ruse.
- Spent two days reading and sleeping in my tent during a massive rain storm in southern Romania.
- Toured Dracula’s castle in the city of Bran.
- Took a two-week course and learned how to paraglide!
- Made dozens of friends in beautiful Brasov, Romania.
- Spent one week cycling through the mountains of Transylvania and frequently pushing my bicycle uphill.
- Froze my ass off in Moldova after discovering a giant hole in the bottom of my left cycling shoe.
- Crossed through the supposedly dangerous territory known as Transnistria.
- Was followed by a stray dog in southern Ukraine.
- Spent two weeks in the city of Lviv, where I saw people laughing, crying, loving and fighting with one another.
- Rented an apartment in Krakow, Poland just blocks from the city center.
- Explored the Wieliczka Salt Mines.
- Traveled to 18 total countries
- Used 11 foreign currencies
- Spoke 12 different languages
- And had the absolutely best year of my entire life.
Now that 2013 is just around the corner, I’m starting to wonder how I can make next year even better?
It’s going to be tough, but here’s what I have planned thus far:
- I’ll be spending the New Year in Krakow, Poland.
- On January 1st I am launching a new website for people who are interested in guided bicycle tours. It will be the sister-site to the website here at Bicycle Touring Pro.
- Then I’ll ride my bicycle through the cold and snow to Slovakia, where I plan to spend a week or so skiing in the mountains.
- Then I’ll cross through the Czech Republic and cycle back into southern Poland. I plan to visit a friend in Wroclaw before cycling north to the city of Poznan.
- I’ll remain in Poznan, where I will then put the finishing touches on my new Winter Cycling book before launching it to the public.
- I’ll then fly to South Africa and spend three months bicycle touring around the country.
- I also plan on traveling through the neighboring countries of Mozambique, Swaziland and Lesotho.
- Then I’ll fly back to Los Angeles, California, where I plan to spend a month or so visiting with my parents, friends and family.
- After that I am going to be riding a motorcycle (possibly with my bicycle in tow) across the United Stats and Canada.
- In the fall of 2013, I’ll be participating in the Cabot Trail bicycle tour with Freewheeling Adventures.
- And what I do after that I’m not exactly sure.
I want to take this moment to thank you for being a part of this amazing year… and I hope you’ll continue to follow my adventures in 2013 and beyond.
More than that, however, I hope that what I’ve done this year has inspired you in some small way.
So many people I meet on my travels are under the impression that what I do is out of reach for them personally. But there’s very little I did this year that you could not do.
The secret, I think, to accomplishing what you want most in life, is to know what you want to accomplish and then start taking small steps towards that goal every single day.
Determination, the willingness to get a little dirty and make a few sacrifices along the way is really all it takes.
I challenge you to give it a try this year. Think of at least one thing you REALLY want to do over the next 12 months and begin taking small steps towards that goal every single day. Before you know it, you’ll have accomplished what you set out to accomplish.
Take one small step toward your goal every day and before you know it you will have found a new job, ridden a bicycle across Europe, learned how to paraglide, taught yourself a new language and who knows what else!
I’m going to try my hardest to make 2013 the best year ever… and I hope you will do the same.
Thanks again for your wonderful support… and here’s to an incredible New Year!